1.30.2014

Michele Carragher & Taking Your Time

I still can't stop thinking about Michele Carragher's beautiful costume embroidery, especially the animals on Sansa's wedding gown from Game of Thrones. She has some great shots of them on her website, but I wish I could see them in person and check out the detail even more closely. Here are my two favorite pictures:



After doing some stitching with metallic thread recently on my own Game of Thrones-inspired embroidery, I can appreciate her skills even more than before. She says on her site that one of her embroidered appliqu├ęs took 42 hours. I like to see results quickly when working on a project and sometimes tend to speed through them, but looking at Michele's work reminded me of the rewards of taking your time. I've already pulled out stitches a few times on my direwolf to get them "just so". Here's the first of many in-progress shots. I kind of want to keep track of how many hours this embroidery takes; I think I've spent about 6-8 hours on it so far (it features a dragon and a lion as well as the direwolf).

Direwolf WIP

I wouldn't begin to compare my work to Michele's but hopefully taking take more time to practice and get it right will bring my skills up to her level...someday. Hey, I can dream (and work).

No comments:

Post a Comment